Shekar Vishwanathan, Fmr Vice Chairman, Toyota Kirloskar
Shekar Vishwanathan is the FMR Vice-Chairman of Toyota Kirloskar. Shekar is a visionary leader who has contributed to Toyota’s great success in India.
In this episode brought to you by The Brand Called You, Ashutosh Garg converses with Shekar Vishwanathan, FMR Vice-Chairman of Toyota Kirloskar. Shekar is a visionary leader who has contributed to Toyota’s great success in India.
Shekar talks about his transition from finance to the automobile industry. He shares with us the core values he believes in. The automobile industry expert gives an overview of the industry and tells why people have always been enthusiastic about cars.
The corporate leader tells how Toyota manages to stay ahead of its competitors. The automobile industry expert opines about electric vehicles, the industry, and its future.
In the last section of the episode, Shekar tells what success means to him. Shekar shares great learning from one of his biggest mistakes in life. Watch the full episode to know more about Shekar’s extraordinary professional life.
- Unit Trust of India – 1981 to 1984 – worked as Staff Officer, Finance & Investment Division
- The Chase Manhattan Bank – designated as Second Vice President – 1985 to 1993 handling trade finance, investment banking products and intereacted extensively with Ministry of Finance and several leading PSU’s
Was trained in lending and credit appraisal at the Bank’s regional headquarters in Hong Kong in 1987 for a period of 6 months. Was again trained at the bank regional headquarters in specialized subjects such as FX derivatives, M&A etc.
- Lazard Brothers – 1994 worked in the International Division
- Haldia Petrochemicals Limited – 1995-1998 – worked as General Manager Finance and was responsible for fund raising of approximately INR 3200 crores ( 1995 prices ) from financial institutions, banks and overseas funding agencies with a mix of financial instruments including derivative instruments.
- Worked for the last 22 years – 1998 to November 30 2020 – with the Toyota Kirloskar group of companies across functions and have been a member of the Board of Directors of each of the 3 Toyota Group companies I have been involved with. Retired as the Vice Chairman and Whole-time Director of the car company Toyota Kirloskar Motors Private Limited a position held since January 2013.
- Am also holding directorships in other companies not related to the Toyota group:
L&T Mitsubishi Boilers
L&T Mitsubishi Turbines
Ana Arc ( asset reconstruction company)
ASM Technologies ( listed company)
- Past President of the Bangalore Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Past Chairman of CII Karnataka, Chairman Tax Group of SIAM, and Chairman FICCI Karnataka, and Chairman of EV Committee FICCI.
- Golf : Member, Bombay Presidency Golf Club and Bangalore Golf Club
- Bridge: Member, Karnataka State Bridge Association
- Swimming: Member Bangalore Club
Bangalore International Centre: Member of the Board of Governors