S C Sharada, Founder, SC Sharada, and Associates, Company Secretaries
She was the first woman Chairman of the Bangalore chapter of ICSI (Institute of Company Secretaries of India) in 2014, a Member of the Auditing Standards Board (ASB) of the ICSI during 2019.
“It is important to have a goal but it is more important to focus on the journey”
Today The Brand Called You is pleased to welcome SC Sharada, an extremely professional and hard-working individual. Sharada is the Founder of SC Sharada and Associates which is a firm of Company Secretaries. She’s a regional manager with Life beyond Cancer, a nonprofit that helps cancer fighters and survivors.
In this very interesting episode with host Ashutosh Garg, Sharada shares her professional as well as a personal journey of growth and success. As a Company Secretary who has an experience of 20+ years, Sharada talks about the central role of the job. She firmly believes that her role is multifold and holds high expectations. Company Secretaries are the conscience keepers of the company boards.
Sharda believes that her role delivers value to her company. And that this responsibility is of great importance. They also opine about the importance of transparency in corporate governance and functioning.
A cancer victor, Sharada shares her journey of battling and winning against the disease. She speaks about her association with Life beyond Cancer- cancer support nonprofit. She holds acceptance and adaptation as the key pillars of her journey.
- S.C. Sharada is a Company Secretary and Law Graduate with over 25 years of professional corporate experience. Prior to setting up her own firm in 2006, she was the Company Secretary and Legal Counsel of Buhler India Pvt. Ltd., a swiss MNC in Bangalore, handling Legal, Company Secretarial, Indirect Taxes and Banking matters. Currently she is offering professional services to Corporates, Business Incubators, Trusts, Societies, Section 8 companies across various sectors focussing on Companies Act, FEMA, Governance structuring, Startup advisory & mentoring, legal drafting & due diligence, CSR etc.
- In 2013, Sharada successfully completed the ‘Women on Corporate Boards’ mentoring programme of FICCI. She was on the advisory Board of a technology startup in the agri-business space for about 5 years.
- She was the first woman Chairman of the Bangalore chapter of ICSI (Institute of Company Secretaries of India) in 2014, a Member of the Auditing Standards Board (ASB) of the ICSI during 2019 and is a Member of the Secretarial Standards Board (SSB) since 2020. In the past, she has served as Member of the State Taxes Committee of Bangalore Chamber of Industries & Commerce (BCIC), Corporate Affairs Committee of FKCCI and Jury Member for Manthan, a Business Plan Contest of FKCCI.
- Sharada has addressed students, professionals and entrepreneurs on various professional topics at colleges, corporates, industry bodies, business incubators, management institutes & ICSI programmes. She loves writing and has been publishing a fortnightly e-newsletter called ‘Samhita’ for the last 12 years that carries all regulatory updates.
- Sharada is an executive alumnus of IIM, Bangalore and a Distinguished Toastmaster, certified by the Toastmasters International, USA. She is the founding member of two well-known Toastmasters clubs in Bangalore – one for IIMB alumni & the other exclusively for Company Secretaries, both of which provide a vibrant platform for its members to hone their listening, speaking & evaluation skills.
- Having battled breast cancer successfully in 2013, she is open about it and believes in creating awareness that there is a ‘better life beyond cancer’. She is an active member of the Pink Hope Support Group and is also the Regional Mentor for Sanjeevani – Life Beyond Cancer, an award winning NGO. She has shared her thoughts on Breast Health as a speaker at various forums – corporates, colleges, Rotary & Toastmasters clubs & TV channel.
- Sharada believes in giving back to the society and is currently supporting a couple of NGOs in education space by volunteering her time and also channelising CSR funds. Recently she has been co-opted as a Trustee of “Mathru Foundation”, an NGO for specially abled children being run by Arjuna Awardee & Padmashri Dr. Malathi Holla.