Sangeeta Shankaran Sumesh, CFO turned Business & Leadership Coach, Author
Sangeeta is a CFO turned Business and Leadership Coach. She is the author of four books. She calls herself Gain Enabler.
More and more people are recognizing the impact executive coaching can make on their lives and careers. A good executive coach can help clients achieve their business goals by facilitating reflection and helping them find their answers. Whether you are a new entrepreneur, an aspiring entrepreneur, a business owner, or a salesperson, you need a mentor.
And who will be your mentor? Even if you are a die-hard self-starter, who doesn’t need a mentor? Not having a mentor in your life can be a real bummer, especially when you are just starting out. You are also missing out on a lot of opportunities. You can make great connections with mentors, and you can learn from their mistakes.
We have one such person today as our guest who has been making a significant impact on the lives of others. We are pleased to welcome Sangeeta Shankaran Sumesh, CFO turned Business & Leadership Coach, Author.
[00:34] About Sangeeta Shankaran Sumesh, CFO turned Business & Leadership Coach, Author
- Sangeeta is a CFO turned Business and Leadership Coach.
- She is the author of four books. She calls herself Gain Enabler.
- Sangeeta contributes as a Business & Leadership Coach by enabling high performance and enhancing financial growth.
- Sangeeta is a Chartered Accountant, Management Accountant & completed executive education from Harvard Business School.
[00:51] Understanding the phrase ‘The Gain Enabler’
- I realized that my purpose would be to help others achieve their purpose and goals.
- I come from a Finance background, a Chartered Accountant with so many years of experience. I wanted to help people be it financial gains or non-financial gains.
- My objective is to see how I can contribute to the success of people who work with me.
[03:33] Why did you choose to coach?
- I am an accidental coach.
- I always thought a coach is somebody who is a domain expert.
- At the launch of my first book, I kept hearing about coaching from different people.
- I blend the two, my finance experience and my coaching skills, and that created magic.
[04:54] How coaching has evolved over the years?
- People need to understand the difference between coaching and mentoring.
- A mentor is somebody who’s a domain expert who’s been there who’s done that and guides you from his or her experience.
- A coach need not be a domain expert. A coach helps you to overcome challenges and helps you find solutions that you require.
[07:46] How long should a coaching association be?
- It varies from person to person and case to case.
- At least six months to a year because that is when you can see the transformation and get tangible results.
[08:34] Evaluating your coach
- It’s very important to have good chemistry between the coach and the coachee.
- The experience of the coach adds value.
- If the coach is well-trained.
[11:41] How does the coach determine whether a person is coachable?
- Understand from the person how driven are they to achieve what they want to achieve.
[13:07] Coaching millennials and Gen Z’s
- They are extra smart, and they want quick growth, therefore they are ready to put in the extra hard work.
- Organizations need to understand that this culture shift is happening.
[18:55] Three life lessons
- Step out of your comfort zone
- Be grounded and be humble
- Keep evolving, adapting, and learning with changing times
You can connect with Sangeeta Shankaran Sumesh – LinkedIn
Enjoy this podcast?
If you learned new insights about coaching, as well as the importance of mentoring, subscribe and share it with friends!
Love to give us 5 stars? ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you do, we’d love a review from you. Help us reach more people to keep them in the know as we talk to leaders, high achievers, and thought leaders from diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Excellence can come from anywhere; stay in the know, and hear from emergent high achievers and gurus.
Don’t forget to follow and message us on these platforms!
Thanks for listening!
Sangeeta contributes as a Business & Leadership Coach by enabling high performance and enhancing financial growth. Sangeeta is on a mission to enable, empower and elevate businesses with a purpose to serve Corporate leaders and teams to shine and succeed.
She brings along rich corporate experience of twenty-five years with multinationals, and her latest position was as the Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer of Dun & Bradstreet Technologies.
Sangeeta is a Chartered Accountant, Management Accountant & completed executive education from Harvard Business School. She’s a High Performance Business Coach from the International Coaching Federation (PCC), TEDx Speaker & Bestselling Author.