JeVon McCormick, President, and CEO, Scribe Media
JeVon McCormick is a CEO, speaker, and author—but his life didn’t begin as a success story. JeVon is the CEO of Scribe Media, a multi-million dollar publishing company that helps entrepreneurs, executives, and experts write, publish, and market their books.
[00:43] About JeVon McCormick
- JeVon McCormick is a CEO, speaker, and author—but his life didn’t begin as a success story.
- JeVon is the CEO of Scribe Media, a multi-million dollar publishing company that helps entrepreneurs, executives, and experts write, publish, and market their books.
- He has been ranked no. 1 in Top Company Culture in America by Entrepreneur Magazine.
About Scribe Media
- If you have ideas that you believe could make a great book, we surround you with a team of professionals to help you a position, write, edit, design, publish, and market it.
- There is so much wisdom in people’s heads, and too many die with their best work still inside them.
- You’ve spent your life helping people and accumulating knowledge. Our goal is to remove the barriers stopping you from putting those ideas into the world and creating an impact on people who need them most.
[01:04] About his journey and challenges
- My dad was a Black pimp. He took every dollar from the women who sold their bodies.
- My mother was white and she was raised in an orphanage.
- When I grew up in this country, the mixed-race was not really accepted.
- As a kid, I was sexually assaulted.
- Poverty, abuse, eviction, and discrimination were a daily part of my life.
People say, You had every reason to not succeed, but I had every reason to succeed.
[03:37] What were some of your life lessons?
- As a kid, I had to steal food for my brothers and sisters. Life lesson there for me- I made through it, and I have never faced anything more stressful in life.
- My father was not the best father, and he taught me how to not be a father.
There is a positive in every negative situation.
[05:52] What led to the world of books?
- Before Scribe Media, I was the President of a Software Company.
- I wanted to write a book for my children, so I got introduced to the two Co-Founders of Scribe Media.
- They asked me to give insights and one day they offered me to be the CEO of the company.
- I thought I have been the President of a software company and I can not write codes, and now I can be the CEO of a publishing company and I can not spell.
- I took the offer, and today I am the largest equity owner of the company.
[10:09] What do you look at before you decide to publish an author?
- What we look for is why is the person looking to write the book.
- What is their purpose, let us define success before we publish the book.
[17:52] Advice for listeners
Accept that we as humans all make mistakes but learn and grow, don’t repeat the same mistake.
[20:38] What does success mean to you?
I have five pillars in my life:
You can connect with JeVon McCormick- LinkedIn
Enjoy this podcast?
If you learned new insights about the publishing industry, as well as how to become a good author, subscribe and share it with friends!
Love to give us 5 stars? ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ If you do, we’d love a review from you. Help us reach more people to keep them in the know as we talk to leaders, high achievers, and thought leaders from diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Excellence can come from anywhere; stay in the know, and hear from emergent high achievers and gurus.
Don’t forget to follow and message us on these platforms!
Thanks for listening!
JeVon is the President and CEO of Scribe Media, a publishing company that helps individuals from a variety of backgrounds write, publish, and market their books. Scribe Media has worked with 1900+ authors, including members of The Nobel Peace Prize Committee, Nassim Taleb and David Goggins, whose blockbuster book Can’t Hurt Me has sold over 2 million copies.
In addition to his role at Scribe, JeVon is an author and highly sought-after keynote speaker, delivering the message that “Everyone Has A Story” to enthusiastic audiences across the country. His book, I Got There: How a Mixed-Race Kid Overcame Racism, Poverty, and Abuse to Achieve the American Dream, tells the harrowing story of his struggle to succeed despite the overwhelming odds stacked against him.
JeVon is passionate about conscious entrepreneurship and creating opportunities for at-risk youth. He has mentored young men and women in the juvenile justice system, as well as those in lower economic communities.
JeVon currently serves as a board member for Conscious Capitalism and the StartEdUp Foundation. His story and work have been featured on CNBC, and in Entrepreneur, Forbes, and Inc. magazines. He lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife, Megan, and their four children Ava, Jaxon, Elle and Jace.