Eliezer Manor, Co-Founder, Israeli VC Association & Co-Founder, Redds Capital
Eliezer Manor is a physicist and a graduate of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. After his studies he spent a few years as an officer in the IDF (Israel Defense Forces), working in the R&D Department of the Israeli Ministry of Defense, responsible for infrared night vision.
The Brand Called You podcast brings you a venture capitalist from Israel, Eliezer Manor, who talks to us about a unique startup process that is being followed in Israel. Eliezer is the co-founder of the Israeli VC Association and also the cofounder of REDDS Capital. He is a teacher and author. Eliezer begins by sharing the key milestones in his life, co-founding his companies as one of them. He then shares why Israel is called the Startup Capital of the World and the famous Israeli Process to startup. The country Israel lacks any natural resources of its own, hence the only resource left at their disposal is Human Resources and they have made quite a good use of it by making the country a startup hub. Eliezer talks to us about the startup ecosystem of Israel and the cooperation between the government and private sector that makes it convenient for people to start up. Then he delves into the subject of Venture Capital Business and shares his insights into different topics related to it. He tells us how a venture capital fund is set up. Eliezer also shares how a VC decides to exit a business venture, “you build a company for value, not for an exit,” he opines while telling that IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, and open innovation are one of contributing factors of exits. Eliezer has been helping startups grow for many years and he shares his wisdom on entrepreneurship with us. He shares the basic mistakes made by startup entrepreneurs and tells us exactly when a startup should scale up. He advises startup entrepreneurs to have a clear vision of what they wish to achieve. And reminds us all that every day is a new day. Tune in to listen to this amazing conversation!
- I am a physicist, graduate of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel.
- After the studies I spent a few years as an officer in the IDF (Israel Defense Forces), working in the R&D Department of the Israeli Ministry of Defense, responsible for infrared night vision.
- After finishing my military service, I became an entrepreneur, establishing a US/Israeli start-up in the field of electro-optics and night vision. This company was acquired by Elbit/Israel after 5 years.
- After this exit, I became an Angel investor in hi-tech start-ups in Israel
- Together with a group of Israeli people, in the fields of finance and economy, I established and managed one of the first Israeli VC funds as Chairman of Investment Committee, investing in Israel, and traded on Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE). In 5 years we had 9 exits: 6 traded on NASDAQ and 3 acquisitions
- One of the founders of IVA – the Israeli VC Association (today IATI) and active on European VC Association (EVCA)
- Was part of an international group, establishing and managing REDDS Capital (together with Stephen Ibaraki)
- Managing of a family philanthropic fund to encourage and support disadvantaged youngsters to study academic or professional studies, with emphasis on innovation & entrepreneurship
- Lecturer in MBA courses with workshops for education and training towards creative thinking, innovation and hi-tech entrepreneurship
- Author of 2 books:
- For adults – “From Start-Up to Smart-Up”, describing the history of the Israeli hi-tech and VC industries, as well as the lessons to be learned from the process in Israel to become the “Start-Up Nation”. The stepping stones of this process are described and shown in an animated movie prepared by us, which can be accessed from our website or directly with the link: www.shirat-enterprises.com/movie
- For children – “The Little Innovator”, for education of young children and their parents or teachers towards creative “out-of-the-box” thinking. The book is on Amazon and a promo can be accessed on the link https://youtu.be/0NT3U4EXeZA